Due to the “REAL ID Act” that was enacted on May 11th 2005, you will probably need a”REAL ID” to prove you are a citizen!

Here’s the deal – some states require a photo ID to vote, fly on a plane, enter certain federal buildings, or enter nuclear facilities. The driver’s license that you’ve probably used for decades as identification is no longer good enough because of the “REAL ID Act“. Going forward, you may need a “Real ID” which looks almost identical to a driver’s license, but is far more difficult to get. You can only get in person, at the RMV, and it requires a variety of evidence proving you are who you are.

This is how Massachusetts is explaining this to people:

To Acquire a “REAL ID” in Massachusetts…

You’ll need ONE of these:

    • A Social Security Card with a Social Security Number that can be validated electronically
    • W-2 Form
    • SSA-1099 Form
    • Non-SSA-1099 Form
    • Pay Stub with applicants name and Social Security Number

Note – People without Social Security numbers must present an SSA Denial Notice, foreign passport, appropriate visa, AND I-94.

You’ll also need ONE of these:

  • United States Passport or Passport Card
  • Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Certification of Citizenship (Form N-560 or Form N-561)
  • Certification of Nationalization (Form N-561 or N-570)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350, FS-545)
  • Permanent Resident Car (Form I-551)
  • Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766 or Form I-6888)
  • Foreign Passport with United States Visa Affixed and I-94 Stamp

You’ll also need TWO of these:

  • Massachusetts RMV-Issued document
  • can only use this category as 1 proof document
  • State/Federal/Municipal/City/Town/County Agency-Issued documents
  • First class mail, Massachusetts-Issued professional license with photo, medicaid statement, firearms card, jury duty summons, court correspondence, property tax, excise tax (current or dated within 60 days)
  • Bills
  • Utility bill, credit card statement, medical/hospital statement (dated within 60 days)
  • Lease/Mortgage
  • Lease, mortgage, or rental contract (dated within 60 days)
  • Financial-related documents
  • Bank statement with image of personal checks, W-2, pension statement, retirement statement pay stub, SSA Statement, installment loan contract (current or dated within 60 days)
  • School Issued Documents
  • School transcript, proof of enrollment, tuition bill school record – for current year
  • Insurance- Related Documents
  • Auto, renter’s, or homeowners’s insurance policy (for current year)

Note – All documents must be originals, no photocopies will be accepted.

Here is a video explaining further:


More relevant info: